The distributed data center model provides high availability by replicating data, but effectively eliminates any benefits gained from Splunk data compression by increasing storage requirements. Co-locating storage and compute means when you need more storage, you have to add both compute and storage. To further increase the total cost of ownership (TCO), Splunk indexers with a distributed scale-out architecture usually have more servers with less storage to minimize the amount of data and time associated with server maintenance and failures.
In short, the old-school, conservative approach of an ever-growing physical data center comes with incredible expense and tremendous financial risk.
Reduce Server Counts
Splunk recommendations for an Enterprise Security (ES) deployment with a 2 TB daily ingest call for up to 20 indexers. Based on validated testing with this Reference Design, we were able to achieve similar or better performance with only 5 indexers. This 4x improvement over Splunk recommendations represents incredible cost savings for organizations in year one alone.
Using SmartStore with FlashBlade®, Kinney Group’s Reference Design lowers the storage and compute requirements when compared to Splunk’s classic, “bare metal” storage architecture. With this approach, indexers can be sized based on ingest rates and concurrent search volumes instead of worrying about storage. Additionally, SmartStore only requires the storage of a single copy of warm data, and FlashBlade® further reduces storage requirements for the object tier by 30–40% through data compression.
Reduce Storage Costs by 62%
The impact is even greater when you consider the topic of storage efficiency using the Kinney Group PureStorage Reference Design on FlashBlade®. Storage efficiency — fitting more data into less raw flash — is a key contributor to reducing the amount of physical storage that you must purchase, deploy, power, and cool.
In ESG’s Economic Validation report, “Validating the Economics of Improved Storage Efficiency with Pure Storage,” the results show that Pure saved financial services organizations up to 59% in TCO, and healthcare and government organizations up to 62% through storage efficiencies alone.
Impact TCO through storage performance, availability, scalability… all while providing unparalleled results and reducing risk
Reducing CapEx AND OpEx: Considering Total Financial Impact
While a reduction in the capital costs associated with server and storage acquisition are compelling, those costs typically contribute only 20% (or less) to a 3-year server TCO, with management and other OpEx contributing the remaining 80%.
How does this reference design decrease operating expenses? The short answer is that a smaller footprint means a reduction across the board in the month-to-month and year-over-year expenses hidden in operating a data center — costs like power consumption and other utilities, preventative and predictive maintenance, connectivity, and staffing, to name a few.
With this reference design, you’ll impact bottom-line savings through storage performance, availability, scalability, and performance — providing the potential to grow revenue streams and lower costs. You’ll significantly reduce overhead by reducing the number of servers required to drive your Splunk ES environment, while simultaneously providing unparalleled results and reducing security risk. And, especially of importance, you’ll substantially reduce operating expenses associated with a sprawling data center footprint.
Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) is a complex subject, to be sure. The bottom line is that implementing a powerful, scalable compute and storage solution such as FlashBlade® technology in conjunction with SmartStore in a Kinney Group-tuned Splunk environment provides both immediate and long-term financial benefits for your organization.
Modernize Your Splunk Environment
We gave you a taste of the power backing the reference design model and how it can modernize your Splunk environment. Now, it’s time to download your copy and access the full document of information instantly. Within the reference design, we’ll dig deeper into the 3 Key Benefits of utilizing the reference design in modernizing your Splunk operations and dive into the technology supporting the findings. Download your copy of the white paper here.